Our building inspector is Paul Birschbach:
Birschbach Inspection Service LLC
18 West Main St. • Suite L
Chilton, WI 53014.
Inspector hours are 11:30 am to 12:30 pm Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, or by appointment.
- Office staffed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Wednesdays 10:30am to 4:30 pm
- Fridays 7:30 am to 12:00 pm
- New Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inspector Phone Numbers: Office: 920-849-9274 Fax: 920-849-9289
Give Paul a call to determine which permit applies to your construction, replacement or remodeling project.
DO I NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
When your project involves:
- An addition or change to the exterior or interior of your home
- Any type of electrical, heating or plumbing work
- Culverts or driveways
For exterior work, you need a permit to:
- Change the size of window or door openings
- Install a new swimming pool (above or in-ground), either temporary or permanent
- Add a screened porch
- Build a new storage shed, farm building, garage, deck, house or boathouse
- Install a hot tub
- Install new siding
For interior work, you need a permit to:
- Install a hot tub or whirlpool
- Alter a bathroom or kitchen
- Install or replace a furnace or hot water heater
- Install or replace a central air conditioner
- Install or replace a fireplace
- Add new electrical outlets
- Change the number of dwelling units
- Finish your basement
- Any interior alterations
What if I don’t get a permit?
Permits are required by Town Ordinances and Wisconsin Statutes. If you don’t get one when you should, the Town can fine you for the violation for every day the work is not in compliance. This can be expensive. The permit and accompanying inspections are to assure you that the work is up to code and safe. Projects not done according to code can affect your home’s insurability and potential sale. Prospective buyers can check the Town’s building records. (Please note these lists are not all-inclusive, but they do call out the most common projects.)
When you project involves:
- Painting the exterior or interior of your building
- Pouring a concrete patio or walkway
- Installing gutters and downspouts
- Installing storm windows and screens
Contact Town Building Inspector Paul Birschbach